Thursday, March 25, 2010

Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water...

So, the surgery went well. In fact, JJ didn't cry before, after, that night, the whole next day. I thought "what a trooper this kid is"! He also didn't poop. Someone told me that codeine makes them constipated. OK, well that was actually a good thing as it kept the yuckies away from the incision site. The after care instructions said take the bandage off on Thursday, which is today.

OH.MY.GOD.

I went to change him as he had finally pooped (hard poop, by the way). As I was wiping him, he pooped some more. That was ok too. I just let him finish what he needed to do, and then I thought that I'd take the bandage off then and get him nice and lubed up with Neosporin.

OH.MY.GOD.

I started taking the bandage off slowly, and as I got down to where it was on his skin, it was a little stuck in the scab that is forming. That poor child screamed and started crying. I took the rest of it off, and saw what no mother wants to see. Her little man all red and scabbed up. I put a glob of Neosporin on as quickly as I could, and put a diaper on him. I'm sure that didn't help as it was then rubbing on the diaper and irritated. Lots more crying. I thought a dose of his pain meds would be appropriate, so I ran to the kitchen and served him up some Tylenol w/codeine. This was at 11:40. He just now fell asleep at 1:20.

The dr. made it seem like he'd be great by today, back to playing in his bouncy, rolling around, etc. Um?

I hate feeling like I made the wrong decision. I wonder if he'll hate me forever for the pain he's now in (I know he won't remember, but perhaps he will subconciously??). I envy moms who have girls at this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment